+ +
You are here: Home - Insurance - How To -

How to insure your mortgage payments

Written by:

Mortgage Payment Protection Insurance (MPPI) covers your mortgage payments in the event of your being unable to work due to an accident, sickness or unemployment, so it is also known as ASU.

MPPI covers a combination of insurances. You may simply want the unemployment cover for your mortgage if you already have accident and sickness insurance at work, for example.

Note that if you remortgage at any point and increase the size of your mortgage, you will also need to increase the level of MPPI cover.

You can take out mortgage payment protection insurance direct over the internet, but some financial advisers claim they can offer this insurance more cheaply because of their bulk-buying arrangements. Some mortgage deals come with free MPPI for the first six months or the first year, but you must remember to renew the policy or take out another one at the end of the free period.


State help with your mortgage payments

If you are a homeowner and in receipt of certain income-related benefits, you may qualify for Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI) payments if you lose your job or are unable to work due to accident or sickness. Any SMI payments only help with the interest on your debt, not the capital amount you owe, and are paid directly to the lender.

You might qualify for help with the interest on a mortgage up to an upper limit of £200,000 and SMI only pays mortgage interest up to a rate of 3.12%.

SMI is usually paid out after a waiting period of 39 weeks after you first claim benefit.

Click here for more information.


There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Your Mortgage Guides

Your Mortgage Award Winners 2020-2021

Download our guide to the best mortgage lenders in the UK

Read More >

Read previous post:
How to exercise your Right to Buy

Right to Buy allows most council tenants who have lived in their council home for five years to buy it...

+ +