You are here: Home - First Time Buyers - How to -

How to get government help

Written by:
If you are a first-time buyer struggling to get onto the property ladder, help could be at hand.

Whether you are a council tenant or a member of the armed forces looking to buy a home, help from the government may be available.

There are a number of government housing schemes, ranging from Help to Buy to NewBuy, First Buy to Right to Buy, which offer a range of loans and discounts to eligible citizens. Note that you will always have to go via an intermediary and take mortgage advice before gaining access to a government scheme.

It makes particular sense to listen to mortgage advice in these circumstances, as these schemes tend to be relatively complicated.

Visit our section on ‘government help‘ of Your Mortgage for a raft of information and advice.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

Sorry. No data so far.

Guide to borrowing past retirement age

As an older borrower, you may be concerned that a lender will not offer you a mortgage pas...

Mortgage market biased against homeowners

Buy-to-let property investors are unfairly favoured in the mortgage market, an independent...

Should buy-to-let investors ‘go Dutch’?

The Netherlands is revealed as Europe’s top buy-to-let property hotspot

Private sector tenants in poverty double in decade

The number of private rented sector tenants in poverty has doubled in the last decade from...

Large mortgage broker firm launches with fees of over 1%

An insurance firm has launched a mortgage advice service

Second steppers targeting detached properties

Those living in their first home are increasingly looking to reduce the steps to their lon...

Mortgage Calculators