You are here: Home - First Time Buyers - How to -

How to get government help

Written by:
If you are a first-time buyer struggling to get onto the property ladder, help could be at hand.

Whether you are a council tenant or a member of the armed forces looking to buy a home, help from the government may be available.

There are a number of government housing schemes, ranging from Help to Buy to NewBuy, First Buy to Right to Buy, which offer a range of loans and discounts to eligible citizens. Note that you will always have to go via an intermediary and take mortgage advice before gaining access to a government scheme.

It makes particular sense to listen to mortgage advice in these circumstances, as these schemes tend to be relatively complicated.

Visit our section on ‘government help‘ of Your Mortgage for a raft of information and advice.

There are 0 Comment(s)

If you wish to comment without signing in, click your cursor in the top box and tick the 'Sign in as a guest' box at the bottom.

How much can you borrow?

A calculator designed to help you understand how much you can borrow towards your property

Your Mortgage Guides

Guide to Offset Mortgages

Download our handy guide to offset mortgages, brought to you in partnership with Scottish Widows Bank

Read More >

Are you on the right mortgage product?

See how much you could potentially save by remortgaging to a different product
Read previous post:
How to be a successful landlord

The National Landlords Association (NLA) has highlighted some important issues for landlords to consider.